Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure can flatten your abdomen by removing loose, excess fat and skin and tightening muscles in the abdominal wall. It can also remove some if not all of the stretch marks in your lower abdomen. It is popular following pregnancy, massive weight loss or whenever a flabby abdomen with weak muscles impairs body contour. A flat and well-toned abdomen is something many of us strive for through exercise and diet. However, these methods do not always help us to achieve our goals. Even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop an abdomen that protrudes or is loose and sagging. The most common causes of these are pregnancy, aging, significant fluctuations in weight, heredity and prior surgery.
A tummy tuck removes excess fat and skin while repairing weakened or separated muscles to improve:
• Excess skin in the abdominal area
• Lax abdominal muscles
• Protruding abdomen
• Stretch marks in the abdomen located where the skin will be removed
• You have flab, stretch marks or excess skin in your abdomen that does not improve with diet or exercise
• The shape of your abdomen has been affected by pregnancy or massive weight loss
• You feel that the shape if your abdomen is unattractive
• You do not like the way you look in clothes and swimwear
• You are finished having children
• After you have achieved your goal weight. A tummy tuck is not a substitute for weight loss or an appropriate exercise program.
The positive outcome of a tummy tuck can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. For this reason, individuals who are planning substantial weight loss or women who may be considering future pregnancies would be advised to postpone a tummy tuck. The muscles that are repaired during an abdominoplasty can separate again during future pregnancy.
During a tummy tuck, Dr. Brown will remove your loose abdominal skin and tighten your abdominal muscles. Liposuction of the abdomen and flanks is often performed in conjunction with a tummy tuck. There are different types of tummy tuck surgery. A full abdominoplasty addresses the area from above the navel down to the pubic area, while a mini abdominoplasty addresses the area below the navel down to the pubic area.
Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty and body contouring surgery, is a surgical procedure that slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion. Despite good health and a reasonable fitness program, some people may still have a body with disproportionate contours due to localized fat deposits.
Liposuction uses suction to sculpt your body by removing pockets of fat. It is important to note that liposuction does not remove cellulite and cannot tighten loose skin.
• You have localized areas of fat that are disproportionate to the rest of your body
• You have stubborn pockets of fat do not respond to diet and exercise
• You would like more definition or a sleeker contour in certain areas of your body
• You have good skin elasticity
• You are physically fit, no more than 20 pounds overweight, and your weight is stable
There are many techniques that can be utilized to perform liposuction. Dr. Brown will determine the appropriate method to best address your concerns.
As a post-pregnancy surgery, a mommy makeover is any combination of cosmetic procedures that restore your pre-pregnancy appearance, usually focusing on the breasts and abdomen. A typical makeover might include a tummy tuck, a breast procedure such as an augmentation, lift or reduction and liposuction of the thighs or trunk.
A Mommy Makeover reverses the physical changes associated with childbearing to correct:
• Sagging breasts, uneven breasts, decreased breast volume, drooping nipples and stretched areolas (the dark skin surrounding the nipple)
• Breasts that have become so much larger after childbirth that they are out of proportion with the rest of your body and cause back pain
• A tummy that has loose skin and stretch marks and your waistline has become thick and undefined
• Areas of fat and/or skin hanging over your C-section scar
• Excess fat in your waist, hips and thighs
• Your pregnancy has negatively affected the size and shape of your breasts
• You are distressed about your sagging tummy and stretch marks
• You have pockets of fat that do not improve with diet and exercise
• You want to restore a more youthful bust and flat tummy
• You want your clothes and swimwear will fit better
Mommy Makeover is a term used to describe a combination of procedures that are performed after pregnancy and childbirth. Below is a list of the most commonly sought after procedures women seek to help restore their pre-pregnancy appearance.
A flabby abdomen results from fat, poor skin elasticity, excess skin, and stretching of the inner girdle of connective tissue (fascia) and abdominal muscles (rectus muscles), extending from the ribs to the pubic bone. This inner girdle, which holds the internal organs in place, gets stretched during pregnancy or weight gain and the stomach protrudes. Abdominoplasty removes loose, excess skin and fat and tightens slack fascia, removing stretch marks and excess skin in the lower abdomen below the belly button.
Liposuction can improve the contour of flanks, hips and other areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. While a tummy tuck may narrow your waist, it does not address your hips or thighs. Dr. Brown may recommend liposuction of the hips and thighs at the same time as a tummy tuck.
A breast lift treats sagging and uneven breasts, decreased breast volume, drooping nipples, and stretched areolas, returning a youthful shape and lift to your breasts. Women who desire larger, smaller, or more rounded breasts may want to consider a breast augmentation or breast reduction along with the breast lift.
Breast augmentation increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants, or fat grafting.
•Breast Lift with Augmentation
Breast lift with augmentation can give you larger and fuller breasts while correcting droopiness. If drooping is severe, Dr. Brown may recommend a breast lift combined with a breast augmentation as part of your mommy makeover.
During pregnancy, your breasts usually swell to a fuller size and shape. In some women, the breasts remain larger. This can be a welcome change unless your breasts have become disproportionately large and cause pain, poor posture, rashes, breathing problems, skeletal deformities, or low self-esteem. Breast reduction can resolve these problems by removing fat and glandular tissue while tightening skin to produce smaller, lighter breasts.
An arm lift, or brachioplasty, reshapes the upper arm to tighten loose skin and remove fat that can create a “bat wing” appearance under the arm. Fluctuations in weight, the aging process and heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance. Exercise may strengthen and improve the underlying muscle tone of the upper arm, but it cannot address underlying weakened tissues, localized fat deposits and excess skin that has lost elasticity. Particularly after losing a significant amount of weight, this redundant underarm skin remains a problem that does not improve with exercise.
An arm lift will reduce skin and fat between the underarm and the elbow. This reshaping of your arm will result in smoother skin and contours to create a more toned and proportionate appearance.
• Your weight is normal, but you feel your shape is affected by underarm laxity
• You have lost weight and are left with excess upper arm skin and fat
• You are an adult with significant upper arm skin laxity due to aging
• You want to wear form-fitting, short-sleeve or sleeveless clothing without feeling self-conscious
There are various approaches for arm lift procedure, which will be dictated by your skin quality and the extent of excess underarm fat and skin. Dr. Brown will assist you with making the right choice based on your anatomy and preferences.
Fat transfer, also known as fat grafting or fat injection, is a procedure that transfers fat from areas in which you have excess fat and injects it into areas that may be lacking in volume. Fat transfer results are natural, long lasting and safe.
The purpose of fat grafting is to augment the breasts or buttocks or fill in volume-deficient areas such as the face, hands and depressions in the skin. You must have donor sites from which sufficient fat can be taken.
• You have facial areas that appear creased and sunken and wish to rejuvenate your face
• You wish to improve your body contour, revise scars, fill bodily depressions and rejuvenate your hands
When performing a fat graft, Dr. Brown will first obtain fat from the donor area with liposuction. He will process the fat cells and the area designated to receive the graft will then be injected with the purified fat. It may be necessary to repeat the fat grafting procedure several times to achieve the desired result.
A thigh lift, also known as thighplasty, is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of excess skin and fat from either the inner or outer thighs. This is often desirable after substantial weight loss or in individuals for whom dieting and exercise have failed to reduce excess tissue in their upper thighs. A thigh lift can help you regain the youthful thigh contours you desire.
A thigh lift removes fat and excess skin from the inner and outer thighs to provide:
• A more proportional and shapely contour
• A firmer look and feel, with a more youthful and curvaceous appearance
• You are distressed about loose, flabby skin on your thighs
• You have difficulty fitting into clothing because of heavy thighs
• Your want your body to appear more shapely and proportional
• You are committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and a moderate weight
• The effects of aging have led to sagging, cellulite and loose skin on your thighs.
• You have succeeded in a weight reduction program and you now desire shapely thighs that reflect your more proportional, toned figure.
There are different methods of performing a thigh lift. Dr. Brown will decide which approach will best address your needs.